A wave of shock hit me the moment I refreshed my email in the Walmart checkout line to reveal that I received the 2019 Betsy Plank Scholarship from the PRSA Foundation. This scholarship is an incredible honor and one that I will hold close to me forever, though it did come with its challenges, as illustrated. I find these challenges make the award even more special.
Applying for this scholarship gave me the opportunity to reflect on what public relations is. As a student and intern, I have learned that PR is storytelling, advocating and creating communities. Without heart and ethics, public relations cannot exist.
An Immense Thank You to:
- My professor, mentor and PRSSA Faculty Adviser, Dr. Alan Abitbol for my letter of recommendation and teaching me what PR really is.
- Hope Scarves for the greatest summer and allowing me to tell stories of hope.
- The University of Dayton Communication Department for all the knowledge and smiles.
- The PRSA Foundation and its donors for this indispensable opportunity.
- Betsy Plank for her commitment to students and this profession.
- Progressions for giving me the creative freedom to share this comic.
- Mom, Dad and my roommates for your help and inspiration.
Lilly Barnett is a senior at the University of Dayton, graduating in May 2020. She is a communication major with a concentration in public relations and a marketing minor. Since May 2019, Lilly has served as her university’s PRSSA chapter president.