Session: Tips from New Professionals
Presenters: Laura Daronatsy Fooks, Communications LPD Associate, Lockheed Martin; Chad Furst, Communications Senior Consultant, Booz Allen Hamilton; Andrea Gils, Marketing and Communications Manager, University of Kentucky International Center; Veronica Mingrone, Digital Analyst, Canvas Blue
Recap: Laura Daronatsy Fooks, Chad Furst, Andrea Gils and Veronica Mingrone, all accomplished new professionals, offered advice on how to be successful in the evolving field of public relations. Each working in varying industries, the panel spoke on the importance of using PRSSA and PRSA networks, priorities recent grads should look for in potential jobs, overcoming the millennial stereotype, discussing salaries and how to find your voice as new professionals in the field.
The panel of new professionals ended the session with parting advice, including:
- Take your job seriously but don’t take yourself seriously.
- Tailor your resume for each job you are applying for.
- Identify mentors and people who may become your mentors.
- Build relationships because you want to, not because you have to.
- Be nice. Be someone others want to work with.
- Use every network you have. You never know what opportunities will arise from your connections.
- Talk about your personal experiences, especially your PRSSA and PRSA experiences. They have more of an impact than “This is what I learned in class.”
- Decide what is most important to you when you are looking for a job, the rest will follow.
- Salaries and raises are hard subjects to discuss but believe in your abilities and worth. If you don’t think you deserve a raise, no one else will.
- No one expects you to be perfect all the time. Don’t be afraid to be creative and try new things.
Gabrielle Coy is a junior public relations major. She serves as the special events coordinator for the Waynesburg University Public Relations Student Society of America Chapter as well as assistant firm director for Red Brick Communications, Waynesburg’s Student-run Firm. Follow her @Gabrielle_Coy or connect with her on LinkedIn.